Sunday, July 21, 2013

25 (ahhh make that 24) Word Story

When I checked my phone today, in the car on the way home from Mystic Aquarium, I noticed a tweet from Anne.
Hmmm. . .was I? Creative writing has never come as easily to me as other forms of writing. I fall into the "It was a dark and stormy night" category of would be authors. Did I really want thousands of strangers to bear witness to my feeble attempt at creativity? After thinking it over for the rest of the car ride, I decided to go for it. Why not? What did I really have to lose? And taking risks is what we, writing workshop people, are all about, right? So I wrote (or at least tried to write) a #25WordStory:
I know. I know. It's really a 24 word story. An embarrassing fact that I didn't noticed until after I tweeted it out to the masses.  Sigh.  I blame the aforementioned gremlin who was trying desperately to stand on the kitchen table whilst I was composing.  Still 25 words or 24, I feel pretty proud of my piece.

This is another reason I dig Twitter.  There I was just going about my day trying to keep my kids from jumping into the belgua whale tank when out of the blue I get a message from Anne seeing if I want to write a story (albeit a very short story).  Without Anne's gentle prodding and words of encouragement, I would never have written that piece, never have felt the satisfaction of creating it, sharing it.  Sometimes we need to be reminded that we are many things.  I'm not just a mom or an educator; I'm also a writer, a creator.  And I have things to say worth hearing.

Thanks for reminding me of that today Anne.  You rock!

4 comments:

  1. This is wonderful!!! You put yourself out there so you are my hero!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wrote my first 25 word story. Vey fun!! I'm wondering if you can help me with a couple of things: 1) how did you screen print and 2) how did you how so much room for additional #s. I wanted to add #digitink31 but I didn't have enough characters, at least I didn't think so anyway. P.S. that was a little scary, not going to lie : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly! This is great, and I need you to teach us (well, me and Madonna, please!) how to take a screen shot of a Tweet and then embed it in your blog post. I'm jealous of people who can do this, and now's the time for me to learn, when I have your captive here in the SI (lol). So, let's put this on our this week's To Do list, please! Secondly, thanks for getting us going with #25wordstories. I've been participating on and off all year on Twitter; I write one when I feel like it, usually on a Friday morning. The challenge of it all--counting letters and words and shaving and crafting--is exciting to me because it really is a math/language combo. It also calms my OCD...ahhh, counting letters over and over...what could be more soothing? I hope you bring #25wordstories into the classroom. There's no reason kids can't write one per day. CAN YOU IMAGINE ENDING THE YEAR WITH 180 #25 word stories for each kid? OMG.

    ReplyDelete